Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Providing seaway service for eastern ontariO



The Port

The Port of Johnstown is strategically located on the St. Lawrence Seaway system, 100 kilometres south of Ottawa, 330 kilometres east of Toronto and 208 kilometres west of Montreal. It is also located at the junction of two major Ontario highways, Highways 401 and 416 (Veterans' Memorial Highway) and on the Toronto-Montreal railway corridor, giving the port several ways to access eastern and western Canadian markets. The nearby international bridge allows for convenient access to New York State. The Port is well-positioned to take advantage of economic development opportunities for the region.

Activity at the port is responsible for more than 100 direct and indirect jobs in fields such as administration and operations, maintenance and repairs, vessel loading and unloading, trucking, grain elevator operations, feed mill operations, marina and restaurant operations, etc.

Each year the port has an estimated economic impact of approximately $11 million to the region and Canada.

Corporate Structure

The Port of Johnstown is owned by the Corporation of the Township of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal. The "Port Management Committee" which acts as a board of directors consists of elected officials from the Township.

Bill Sloan, Mayor
John Hunter, Deputy Mayor
Pat Sayeau - Councillor
Gerry Morrell, Councillor
Brenda Ball, Councillor
Charles Burrell, Councillor
Joe Scott, Councillor

The Port of Johnstown General Manager reports to the Port Management Committee and is responsible for the day to day operations at the Port.

Public meetings are held monthly at the Johnstown Community Center.

Infrastructure

The Port of Johnstown has a land area of approximately 35 hectares of which 17 hectares are occupied by commercial port and grain activities. The balance of the property is essentially marina/restaurant, cottage/residential or vacant. A total of 117 hectares of port administered marinelot area abuts the port land area. An additional 10 hectares of inland property across Country Road No. 2 northwest of the port is also under port administration and is a complement to the adjacent industrial park development.

Mission

The mission of the Port of Johnstown is to provide local, national and international clients with an efficient, reliable and affordable intermodal dry bulk infrastructure in support of foreign and domestic trade, and to contribute actively to regional economic development.

History

The Port land was deeded from Bernard Kean to Her Majesty Queen Victoria in March 1873 and Registered July 14, 1873 at the registry office, Township of Edwardsburgh.

The property was then transferred to National Harbours Board between 1920 to 1930 from the Department of Transport

The Port of Johnstown was constructed in the late 1920's and early 1930's. The property has been subjected to extensive landfilling to create the Port lands, with some of the fill coming from the Inland Port Property and from dredging. The port has been operated by various government departments and private companies in the past.

On October 12, 2000, Joe Jordan, MP (Leeds-Grenville), on behalf of the Transport Minister, David Collenette announced the official transfer of the Port of Johnstown facilities and property to the Corporation of the Township of Edwardsburgh (now the Township of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal).



The Port of Johnstown has a Transport Canada Approved and in place MARINE FACILITY SECURITY PLAN

24hour Security Number 613-342-0521

twittertwitter




Trucking Directions
Please click image below to enlarge.

trucking direction 01
Open a popup window trucking direction 02 Open a popup window